BOW has several awards it can present to deserving individuals.
Bowhunter of the Year Award – This is BOW’s most prestigious award. It is given on a nomination basis to members who are most deserving. Panels of five judges evaluate each nomination based on the score sheet to determine each year’s winner. The next deadline for nominations is February 15, 2018. Click HERE for the nomination form.
Washakie Award – This is an award given to recognize spectacular specimens of Wyoming’s big game species taken by bow and arrow. The recipient need not be a member at the time of harvest for this award as its primary purpose is to honor the animal. This award is given on a nomination basis, to be nominated by the official measurer who measured the animal, and approved by the executive council. Email us to submit your nomination.
Award for conservation or substantial support – This award is provided to those individuals in government who have done great things either for wildlife or for bowhunting. This is a nomination-based award that is approved by the executive council. Any member may provide the nomination. The next deadline for nominations is February 15, 2018. Email us to submit your nomination.
Records Award Program
Annual Big Game Awards: Bow members can submit their official Pope and Young score sheets for Wyoming harvested animals to the records chairman. The top three entries for each species each year will be awarded plaques, and certificates will be given to all who submit.
- All rules set forth by the Pope and Young records program are applicable, to include those rules of Fair Chase.
- Must be measured by an official Pope and Young or Boone and Crockett measurer.
- Must be a BOW member at the time of harvest to receive a plaque.
- Only entries taken in Wyoming that are recognized by the Pope and Young records program are eligible.
- Score sheets shall be sent to the Records Committee Chairman no later than 14 days prior to the annual convention or deadline set by the records chairman.
The Wyoming Award: This award is to recognize BOW members who are dedicated to hunting with a bow and arrow. The award is given in four categories to members who have taken all or the majority of big game species in Wyoming with bow and arrow. Entries should be made to the records chairman.
If someone has all six of the “baseline” species (Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Pronghorn, Elk, Black bear, and Mountain lion) and any one of the “second tier” species (Shiras’ Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Rocky Mountain Goat, and Bison), they qualify for the Wyoming 7 Award. Baseline plus any two second tier species qualifies for the Wyoming 8 Award, and so forth.
- Entries may be either male or female.
- Entries are not required to be scored or meet any minimum score.
- All entries must be taken in accordance with the rules of Fair Chase and in accordance with all laws and regulations as well as the By-Laws of BOW.
- All entries shall be harvested by means of archery equipment.
- Must be a member of BOW only at the time of application for this award.